Guidance Notes (GN)
The purpose of a Guidance Note is to recommend "good practice" and give guidance for safe procedures in the fields of production, distribution and the application of gases, or for the use of gas equipment. Guidance Notes take account of overarching legislation and assist in ensuring compliance through the development of controls to improve industry standards. They are also used where Government regulations are unlikely to occur or are inappropriate.
Recommended for use by BCGA members. Guidance Notes are typically available to BCGA members and the general public, but in some cases may be restricted to BCGA members.
Below is a list of current active BCGA Guidance Notes (GN's):
- Guidance Notes 3 (GN3) - Safe cylinder handling and the application of the manual handling operations regulations to gas cylinders. Revision 2: 2010
- Guidance Notes 6 (GN6) - Avoidance and detection of internal corrosion of gas cylinders. Revision 2: 2015
- Guidance Notes 8 (GN8) - Catalogue of gas container marks used by BCGA members and their inspection bodies. Revision 5: 2012
- Guidance Notes 9 (GN9) - The application of the confined spaces regulations to the drinks dispense industry. Revision 2: 2015
- Guidance Notes 11 (GN11) - Reduced oxygen atmospheres. The management of risk associated with reduced oxygen atmospheres resulting from the use of gases in the workplace. Revision 3: 2012
- Guidance Notes 14 (GN14) - Production, storage, transport and supply of gases for use in food. Revision 2: 2015
- Guidance Notes 17 (GN17) - BCGA policy and guidance for the safe filling of third-party owned and/or maintained tanks. Revision 2: 2013
- Guidance Notes 19 (GN19) - Cryogenic sample storage systems (Biostores) - Guidance on design and operation. 2012
- Guidance Notes 21 (GN21) - Environmental guidelines for air separation plant and equipment on sites regulated under IPPC. Revision 2: 2016
- Guidance Notes 25 (GN25) - Guidance on assessing the competency of personnel undertaking periodic inspection and testing of gas cylinders. 2015
- Guidance Notes 26 (GN26) - Medical gas cylinders. Selection and maintenance of seals used on high pressure cylinders. 2013